In an interview conducted at Pubcon 2013 in Las Vegas, Stephan Spencer of The Science of SEO offers advice for overcoming the challenges retailers face when it comes to SEO.
Here are some key takeaways from the video:
– Stephan points out that both small and large retailers tend to face the same set of problems. For example it’s hard for retailers to get links because people don’t typically link to e-commerce sites.
– Most retailers also don’t have a lot of the technical things implemented that they should have. Stephan mentions issues with pagination and not having a search engine friendly navigation.
Retailers aren’t taking full advantage of microdata markup that can be used to optimize rich snippets in Google’s search engine results pages.
– However, Stephan is quick to point out that implementing all these tactics without an overall strategy is huge mistake.
– Stephan offers the major starting point for retailers when formulating a strategy. Be remarkable, which simply means giving people something to remark about.
– Figure out how you’re going to be remarkable with your videos, infographics, blog posts, product descriptions and so on.
– Stephan says Fat19.com is a great retailer to learn from because they create viral product videos that people love and tell others about.
Read more: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/overcoming-seo-challenges-for-retailers-interview-with-stephan-spencer/76911/